SUNFLOWER SPREAD/ VEGAN MAYONNAISE
Lately we’ve been trying to incorporate sunflower seeds into our diet because apart from hemp, sunflowers are the only seed grown in North America. Not only are they packed with protein but they are also pretty affordable. Our sunflowers hail from the United States and although you might not think it, this small seed will give nuts and seeds a run for their money when it comes to nutrition.
We wanted to make a spread that would help add protein to our veggie sandwiches so after playing around with this recipe, we found that this is a great way to replace mayonnaise which is something we love the taste of, but that doesn't do much for our health.
- Sunflower Seeds - 1 Cup (soak for 2 hours)
- Lemon (fresh) - 2 Tbsp
- White Wine Vinegar - 2 Tbsp *
- Dijon Mustard or Dry Mustard - 2 Tbsp **
- Maple Syrup - 1 Tbsp
- Water (purified) - 3/4 Cup
- Salt - 1 Tsp
* We've tried this with other vinegars such as Apple Cider, Regular White Vinegar.
** If using dry mustard, add 1 Tsp of water or vinegar.
- After soaking the Sunflower Seeds for 2 hours, drain the seeds and put into a blender.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the blender.
- Pour into container and store in fridge.
Purchase ingredients here